We love sharing our dairy story! Sometimes, it's easy to forget that not everyone grew up on a farm and knows all these cool facts, so here you go... 15 facts to impress your friends with!
1. A dairy cow gives birth to her first calf when she is around 2 years old.
2. An average cow weighs around 1200 pounds (Holstein's can weigh up to 1500!)
3. A Holstein calf weighs around 90 pounds at birth.
4. Dairy cows will eat 120 pounds of feed a day while producing milk.
5. A cow spends 8 hours a day chewing, somewhere around 50 times a minute!
A dairy cow is just a cow right? Well kind of but, did you know there are seven different dairy cow breeds found in the United States? Let's introduce you!
The most popular breed found in the United States and probably the most recognized. These cows are black and white, tall and weigh 1,200-1,500 pounds when fully mature. Holsteins are prized for their milk production, at peak milk production they will produce around 23,000 pounds of milk a year. That equals out to about nine pounds of milk a day! On our farms, Holsteins make up the majority of the cows we have.
Butter coffee has been around for thousands of years, the first evidence of it being consumed was during the ninth century in Ethiopia. More recently, adding butter to coffee has been taken up by fitness enthusiasts and those on ketogenic diets.
WW Homestead Dairy Team
We love cows, curds & ice cream!!!